Friday, May 11, 2012

the breakfast club

I've never been much of a morning person, nor a breakfast eater. Back in my school days, my teachers used to extol the virtues of eating a good breakfast, especially before standardized testing. I felt like such a rebel when I would slide into my desk, pencil sharpened but stomach empty. I did great on those tests, so I figured either I was a freak or the whole breakfast deal was a conspiracy dreamed up by the evil triumvirate of Aunt Jemima, Jimmy Dean, and Tony the Tiger.

Now that my status has changed to married with children, I still don't like breakfast but I live with a house full of people who do. I've found that if I try to plan breakfast on the fly, we end up eating cold cereal every day. In the name of variety, nutrition, and happy campers, I came up with a breakfast rotation like this:

Monday: Muffins or quick breads, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs
Tuesday: Hot cereal (ricemeal, oatmeal, cornmeal, farina)
Wednesday: Pancakes, waffles, or crepes
Thursday: Bacon or sausage, eggs, toast
Friday: Cold cereal
Saturday & Sunday: Eggs, bagels, donuts (bad mom! bad mom!) - sometimes pancakes if the begging gets too intense.

In addition to the main rotation, each day we usually have fruit and either juice or milk (chocolate on pancake days). Well, the normal family members do while I skulk over in the corner and nibble quietly on cold leftovers.

yes, I is a breakfast hater

My hatred of breakfast notwithstanding, this plan has worked fabulously for almost two years. I guess you could say it's grrrrrrreat!

No comments:

Post a Comment