Sunday, May 8, 2011

Avgolemono

We live within walking distance of a fabulous Greek cafe. And our neighbors just opened up a Greek restaurant a few miles away. I *puffy heart* Greek food so you will find no complaints from me about either of those facts.

I have had such a craving for the chicken-lemon-orzo soup (or avgolemono) but didn't want to go to one of those restaurants for the second third fourth time in under two weeks. I thought I probably had the ingredients to make the soup at home but figured it would probably be too difficult or time-consuming or I'd end up with inedible glop.

I've never been so pleased to be absolutely wrong. This soup is easy, quick, and delicious. My only complaint is that it doesn't make a lot, so take that into account if you plan on serving it to a large group. You don't want a fight to break out over who gets a bowl of this!


Avgolemono Soup
slightly adapted from Epicurious.com

1 32 oz. carton chicken broth
1/4 c. orzo
3 eggs
4 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. shredded cooked chicken breast
Salt and pepper to taste--I didn't measure but would guess I used 1/2 t. salt and 1 t. pepper. I like pepper a lot!
Greek seasoning (optional)--I have some from Penzey's so I threw a bit in.

Bring the broth to a boil. Add the orzo and cook to al dente.
While the orzo is cooking, whisk the eggs and lemon juice together until smooth.
When orzo is al dente, lower heat to simmer. Add a cup of hot broth to egg mixture and stir until incorporated. Then add all of egg/broth mixture into pan with broth/orzo. Add chicken and seasonings. Simmer until thick and creamy.

If you are me, it makes two servings--lunch and dinner. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment